Sunday, April 22, 2012

Pumpkin Protein Bars

I actually made this recipe last week, but I haven't had time to update the blog until today.  I didn't capture any pictures of the final products, but my four taste testers at school devoured them and said they were delicious.  Carrie and I actually ate them for our morning snack three days in a row.  I have a feeling we'll be doing the same with the lemon and carrot protein bars this week!

*I typically double the amount of protein powder in all of Jamie's recipes, so in this case I used 4 scoops instead of two.  I also used 1 cup spelt flour and 1 cup whole wheat flour because I did not have any oat flour.  I kept the oat flour in the recipe below because I prefer it.

The only picture I have, courtesy of Hailey who stole my camera.  I found about 30 pictures from the day when I was downloading pictures this weekend! 

Me in my Sunday best, dirty and gross from gardening, working out and cooking all day! Thanks Hay Hay!

Pumpkin Protein Bars (adapted from Jamie Eason)


Ingredients:


  • ½ C xylitol brown sugar 
  • 1/2 C unsweetened applesauce
  • 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
  • 2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • ½ tsp. salt
  • 2 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 3/4 cup egg whites
  • 1 - 15 oz. can of raw pumpkin
  • 2 C oat flour 
  • 4 scoops vanilla egg protein
  • ½ cup almond milk
  • ½ C chopped walnuts (optional)

Directions:


  1. Preheat the oven to 350.
  2. Spray a 9 X 13 Pyrex dish with non-stick spray.
  3. Combine first 11 ingredients and mix well.
  4. Add the final 3 ingredients (4, if adding walnuts), and mix until incorporated. Spread batter into the Pyrex dish and bake for 30 min.
  5. Makes 24 squares.

No comments:

Post a Comment