Monday, March 5, 2012

Lemon Cornmeal Pancakes

I saw this recipe on a blog (thanks to Eat, Live, Run!) early in the week and decided that I had to try it.  I am a sucker for lemon, love lemon cake!, and corn as a base is about as good as it gets.  I made these gluten-free even though I could have used whole wheat flour for the flour portion.  Instead I used spelt flour.  Since I rise with the roosters, I prepared, cooked, and cleaned the kitchen before 7:30 am.  Whew.  I was glad when it was over because I'm so used to pulling my overnight oats out of the fridge and eating right away.  It's good to slow down and try something new even if it did require making a mess.


Rich's unhealthy version;)

MINE!
Lemon Cornmeal Pancakes with Strawberry Sauce (makes 20 pancakes)

Ingredients:
  •  6 eggs
  • 2 cups buttermilk (i used almond milk)
  • 2 cups cornmeal
  • 1 cup of whole wheat flour (i used spelt)
  • zest of 1 lemon
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 3 tsp baking powder
  • 4 tbsp sugar
  • 4 tbsp cooking oil
For strawberry sauce:
  • quart of strawberries 
  • 2 tbsp sugar
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
Directions:
  • Combine strawberries, sugar and vanilla in a small saucepot over low heat. Cook the mixture for 20 minutes or until it is jam-like.  Remove from heat and set aside. 
  • Beat eggs in large bowl.  Add the almond milk and oil and beat until well blended.  
  • In another bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cornmeal, lemon zest, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.  Whisk together and then add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix until just combined.  
  • Spray hot skillet with cooking spray or use butter and cook pancakes for about 1 minute on each side.  Be careful-they brown quickly! 
  • Top with strawberry sauce and serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment