Healthy Squash and Chicken Casserole (serves 8)
- 10 slices of whole wheat bread (i used 1/2 bag stuffing mix b/c we didn't have bread and added 1/2 cup water to it)
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 3 medium yellow squash, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced (i used 1 tbsp of roasted garlic)
- 1/2 lb chicken breast (i used 10 boneless, skinless chicken breast tenders)
- 1 cup shredded low-fat mozzarella cheese
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning (didn't use b/c of the stuffing)
- sea salt and pepper
- Cut bread into cubes and let air dry overnight on cookie sheet OR toast it in oven for 10 minutes at 350 degrees. (didn't need to do this)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Heat a large nonstick skillet on high for one minute. Reduce heat to medium-low, mist with cooking spray and add onion. Saute for 8 minutes or until caramelized. Add squash and garlic. Mist with more cooking spray if needed, and saute until cooked, about 5 minutes.
- Remove vegetables from pan and mist with spray again. Add chicken and cook until golden brown on each side, about two to three minutes total.
- In a large bowl, mix together cooked vegetables and chicken and bread cubes. Mix in mozzarella, seasoning, and salt and pepper.
- Pour mixture into a 8 cup casserole dish and bake for 15 minutes, until cheese is melted and casserole is lightly browned on top.