Friday, November 25, 2011

Turkey Trot!

Pre-Race
Boy, was it chilly out yesterday morning! I'm glad I went wtih a long sleeved shirt and my new compression sleeves.  Speaking of those new hot purple sleeves....I could not be more impressed!  I am sold after one run.  I wore them the night before the race and my leg pain already started to feel better.  I was a bit hesitant to wear them for the "first time" during the race, but I am so happy that I did.  I had zero pain while running and I am NOT sore this morning, at all!  I usually get pretty sore after running outside because there is more rotation than on the treadmill, but I'm not feeling anything today.  Hot pink seems like the next logical color for me to invest in... Christmas present anyone?!

Post-Race
 The official race results finally came in this morning.  It was driving me nuts yesterday that we sat through half the awards ceremony before they told us that the adult division results weren't sorting correctly.  They promised to have them up on the website yesterday, but they finally came in this morning.

Official times for the Waynesboro Turkey Trot 5k: 
  • Dana- 23:04 (2nd in the 30-39 division and 5th overall female)   
  • Rich- 32:07 (15th in the 30-39 division)
I caught a nasty cramp during the last quarter mile and had to stop and walk for 20 yards.  I was pissed because I had worked so hard to pass every female except for one, which I knew I couldn't catch (she finished with a 19 min time).  While I was trying to work the cramp out of my side, three teenage girls passed me.  GRRRR.  I was not a happy camper so I picked up my run knowing that this cramp had just ruined my chances of a 21 minute finish. 

However, I am pumped that out of 300 participants I was 5th and 2nd in my division, which is typically one of the harder divisions.  No one in the 20-29 year old division got close to my time either which makes me feel great.  It's just those darn high school cross-country runners that I have to watch out for;)
Feeling good!

 I was definitely "that girl" who was running in a skirt.  I heard people whispering about me when we were getting ready for the race and I knew if I didn't back it up with a good run then I would have been out there just trying to make a fashion statement among all of the sweat pants and gloves.  Good thing I was able to pull through in the end!  And, the skirt by the way is the Nike Challenge skirt that was on my Christmas list.  They don't make it any longer so I had to fight off the other bidders on Ebay to finally win one!  LOVE IT!
Pretty buff runner, if I do say so myself.
Speaking of cramps, this guy also got a nasty one and had to walk for a bit.  It took a couple minutes off of his time, but the fact that he doesn't run at all makes finishing in the 10 min/mile range great!!  I'm just happy that he agreed to be my side kick before and after the race!

1 comment:

  1. Wow girl, that's awesome! Congrats to you and Rich, "Bucky"

    ReplyDelete