Monday, June 4, 2012

Spanish-Style Sweet Potato Tortilla

I finally got around to trying a recipe that I had my eye on in my Clean Eating Quick and Easy Meals book.  It was in the 20 minutes or less section, but with the tweaking that I did to the cooking and amount of ingredients it took more like 35 minutes.  It was darn worth the wait though!

I love meals that you can throw together and then sit down and eat without prepping lots of side dishes.  I'm already imagining all kinds of variations of this one!

Before the oven

After the oven

My fancy schmancy plate

Spanish-Style Sweet Potato Tortilla
Ingredients:

  • 1.5 lbs of sweet potatoes (2 large) peeled and sliced 1/8 inch thick
  • 4 cups of spinach
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 medium yellow onion, diced
  • 5 whole eggs
  • 6 egg whites
  • salt and pepper to taste
Directions:

  • Preheat oven to 360 degrees. 
  • Steam sweet potatoes for 10-12 minutes (I wrapped them in a wet paper towel and microwaved them for 9 minutes...then cut into slices and peeled skin off.)  
  • Meanwhile, add olive oil to skillet and sauté onions over medium heat.  Once they get soft add in the spinach until it wilts. 
  • In a large bowl, scramble eggs, egg whites, and salt and pepper. 
  • Add the sweet potatoes and egg mixture to the skillet and slowly mix. 
  • Heat on medium-high for 2 minutes. Then transfer skillet to the oven and bake for 20 minutes or until firm. 
And....just for good measure I decided to make my chocolate avocado mousse with strawberries and almonds for dessert! You can find the recipe here

Delish! 

No comments:

Post a Comment