Sunday, December 18, 2011

Push Up Challenge

I am half way through my December push up challenge!  The goal is to do one push up each day starting on December 1st until you do 31 consecutive push ups on the last day of the month.  Before starting this challenge I was completing 3 sets of 15 reps (real push ups) during my chest workout.


Just to make it interesting I thought I would try to double the numbers so I would end up with 62 consecutive push ups at the end of the month.  Crazy?  Pretty sure I am, but I am still hanging in there.  I did 34 consecutive push  ups yesterday and have 36 on the books for today. 


The bonus of doing all of these push ups?  Last Monday I did something that has been my goal for the last 6 months.  I put two 25 lb plates on the bar and benched 95 lbs for 4 reps, even after doing 3 sets of lighter weight.  I started out benching the bar (45 lbs) six months ago, so I have increased my working weight by 50 lbs.  There is something indescribable about putting two big plates on the bar, especially when I'm not the biggest person in the gym, and being able to put it up.

This pushes me to my next goal of being able to put two 35 lb plates on the bar and put up my body weight (115 lbs).  Maybe by June???

I think all of those pull ups have helped widen my back as well.
I challenge you all to try the push up challenge in January.  You can start out with knee push ups and then work your way up to real push ups.  There isn't an easier exercise to tone your upper body and core. 

No comments:

Post a Comment