Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Ugh....this weather

This weather is for the birds.  It has been in the 90's for a week now and many of those days were 100 degree days.  Last Friday I went out for a few errands and my car thermometer read 102 degrees....  Downright nasty, hot and humid weather.  I should have known that Friday's weather would bring strong storms, but the extent of these storms was unbelievable.  There are still thousands of people without power that were affected by these storms and that is 5 days later!



Luckily, we did not lose power for an extended period of time, but we did lose internet and cable for 3 days and lost a shutter off of the house.  One of our dogwood trees was blown over, but I'm hoping I got it back in the ground quick enough to save it.  Other people in the area were not this lucky.  There were trees down everywhere and lots of damage from 80 mph winds due to the derecho storm.  Derecho is spanish for straight.  The straight winds, unlike the spiraling winds in a tornado, move extremely fast and are widespread.  This explains why so many people were affected in such a short amount of time.


When the storm hit the power flickered on and off like crazy, the winds were howling, and I could see the trees leaning and debris flying across the yard.  It was a scary experience to say the least!  I hope that I never experience one of these storms again!  Friday, June 29th was a day that we will not soon forget.

Check out the roots on that tree!  

No comments:

Post a Comment