Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Positive Thoughts

That is what I keep telling myself after my follow up doctor's appointment today.  I went in to the appointment thinking this is the last of the air cast, the day I will register for the Cville 10 Miler and Half Marathon, AND they day I will get to try out my new Garmin watch! 

I left with a totally different outlook.  After 8 x-rays it was determined that the medial tibial stress fracture of my left leg is close to being healed, just not quite there yet, and the sesamoid bone in my foot that has been bothering me on and off for the last year and half is still cracked in half.  Freaking great news.  I am scheduled for an MRI on my left foot this Thursday to determine whether the break never healed on its own, whether it is in the process of healing or whether I was born with the bone in half and just have stress fractures on it.  Unfortunately, many sesamoid fractures do not heal very well and can result in surgery to remove the bone all together.  Definitely not something that I want to have to do and thankfully Dr. Wilder will make that the last resort. 

He did say that my tibial stress fracture and hip problems are all probably stemming from my foot.  So, no I don't have a problem with weak bones or issues with healing.  I'm over hearing all of the comments about how much milk I drink, what is wrong with my bones, blah blah blah.  I drink a full gallon skim milk in a week by myself and devour 1/2 gallon of almond milk.  What, now?!  One issue has caused the other problems, plain and simple.  Who knows, maybe my foot caused compartment syndrome 9 years ago when I first saw Dr. Wilder?! 

I went from thinking I was going to be free to run tomorrow morning to being told I need to get another insert for all of my shoes, stay off all cardio equipment and load bearing exercises except for the bike, and NO body weight lunges/squats, etc.  NOT the answers that I wanted today. 

However, I am happy to report that I finally came to the conclusion this evening that my upper body and core will continue to get more defined and I will set up a lower body circuit that will not include any load bearing exercises.  I can do extensions, hamstring curls, abductor/adductor machines as well as some glute moves.  The calves will remain scrawny.  I've had 12 hours to feel sorry for myself and I'm over it.  The bike will be my friend tomorrow morning:) 

And just for good measure, at least this hideous air cast is off for the time being.  I know it is a terrible picture that I took in the dark, but isn't the running skirt that Carrie gave me for Christmas, cute?! She knows me too well:)

No comments:

Post a Comment